After a long wait, the untethered jailbreak for Apple iOS 5.0.1 is finally here supporting iPhone 4 and 3GS and iPod Touch 3G/4G. However the same is not yet supported for iPhone 4S. If you rely on software unlock, you’ll need to preserve baseband through custom firmware option in Redsn0w as shown in this guide.
Furthermore, it is even simpler for users of tethered jailbreak for iOS 5.0.1 users. You need to jailbreak the device again, rather install a simple update through Cydia and go along with the untethered jailbreak. Simply open Cydia and search for ‘Corona’ and install the package. Once installed, your device will boot untethered.
- Download iOS 5.0.1 for your device. The links are given at the end of this post.
- Download Redsn0w 0.9.10b3 for Windows or Mac.
- Now start the Redsn0w. If you need to preserve your baseband (for unlocking), go to extras and select the ‘Custom IPSW’ option. Now give the path to the download iOS 5.0.1 IPSW file and let redsn0w cook a custom firmware for you. Skip this step if your device is factory unlocked or you’re using an official carrier.
- Open iTunes and select the ‘Restore’ key while pressing shift and point it to the IPSW file for your device. Let iTunes update your device to the latest firmware.
- Once the update is complete, run redsn0w and select the ‘Jailbreak’ option. Follow the onscreen instruction to get into DFU mode for your device. The jailbreak procedure will automatically begin once the device enters the DFU mode. ( In case you don’t understand the on-screen instruction, simply youtube “How to enter DFU mode for iPhone” for a video tour).
- Now let the installer jailbreak your device, your iPhone / iPod Touch will be untethered jailbroken once the setup is complete.
- Connect back to iTunes to restore your applications and settings.