The redsn0w varient of the carrier unlock iPhone 3G & 3GS with baseband version 05.14.02 and 05.15.04 has been released which supports both Mac and Windows platforms. This version is much easier to use as it automatically updates your current baseband to the new version for iOS 4.2.1 while jailbreaking and hacktivating your device.
We earlier released a guide for Mac users that enables them to create custom IPSW files using the PwnageTool. However Windows users are required to use this Redsn0w guide in order to jailbreak followed by unlocking of their device. This guide updates your baseband from 05.14.02 and 05.15.04 to modem firmware 06.15.00 which is unlockable now.
“Unlockers have been reporting mixed results about GPS functionality at 06.15.00.
- There is no way to come back down from 06.15, and there’s no hiding the baseband version from Apple. You’ll be voiding your warranty in a very obvious way.
- If some future baseband comes out with a critical fix, you won’t be able to update to it if it remains down in the 05.xx sequence (then again, you wouldn’t update to it if you wanted to keep your unlock anyway).
- Starting with FW 4.2.1 if you have 06.15 on your iPhone you won’t ever be able to restore to stock firmware (it will fail). You’ll need to only restore to custom IPSWs (then again, if you’re unlocker you should already be doing that).“
If you’re alright with the above warnings from the iPhone Dev Team, you may proceed with this unlock procedure. Due to the GPS issues, it is recommended for those running unlocked devices on previous iOS version to stay away until the issue is resolved.
- If you’re an iPhone 3G or iPhone 3GS (old-bootrom) users, you may update to the new firmware using iTunes. iPhone 3GS users are recommended to stay at iOS 4.1 until an untethered jailbreak for your device is available.
- Once the new iOS is installed, download the redsn0w 0.9.6b6 and run the program.
- Provide it with the IPSW of your current software IPSW and wait while it verifies.
- Once the verification is complete, select “install iPad baseband”. The setup will now download the baseband 06.15.00 directly from Apple directly during installation, so make sure your internet is running.
- Enter the device in DFU mode using the on-screen instructions. Once your device is in DFU, the redsn0w installer will take over and jailbreak and hacktivate your device.
- Once the jailbreak is complete, fire up Cydia app from your iPhone, go to Manage tab, and select Sources. Now edit to Add the source http://repo.ultrasn0w.com and select Add Source. Cydia will g through a series of steps to update your sources.
- Now go to the Search tab and look for ultrasn0w. Install this app which will unlock your device. You might have to restart your device before your carrier works.
Enjoy your unlocked iPhone which should work for any GSM carrier.